from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To marry (a woman).
- transitive v. To provide a wife for.
- intransitive v. To marry a woman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To marry (a woman).
- v. To provide (someone) with a wife.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To marry, as a man; to take a wife.
- transitive v. To match to a wife; to provide with a wife.
- transitive v. To take for a wife; to marry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To take a wife; marry.
- To match to a wife; provide with a wife.
- To take for a wife; marry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. take (someone) as a wife
- v. marry a woman, take a wife
- v. provide with a wife; marry (someone) to a wife
Middle English wiven, from Old English wīfian, from wīf, woman.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)