from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A student who studies excessively; a grind.
- n. Slang One who studies an issue or a topic thoroughly or excessively: "leading a talkathon of policy wonks in a methodical effort to build consensus for his programs” ( Michael Kranish).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An overly studious person, particularly student; a nerd.
- n. A policy wonk or other intellectual expert.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or boringly studious
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
American English student slang 1954; perhaps navy slang before that. Expert sense popularized in the Clinton administration, 1993. (Wiktionary)