from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sport in which two competitors attempt to throw or immobilize each other by grappling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of wrestle.
- n. A sport where two opponents attempt to subdue each other in bare-handed grappling using techniques of leverage, holding, and pressure points.
- n. A professional tumbling act that emulates the sport of wrestling. Also called "professional wrestling". It is distinguished from sport wrestling -- which has strict internationally recognized rules and is conducted on a mat -- by being scripted, rehearsed, conducted in a boxing ring rather than on a mat, and programmed as entertainment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of one who wrestles; specif., the sport consisting of the hand-to-hand combat between two unarmed contestants who seek to throw each other.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of trying to throw another person to the ground; the act of two persons contending which shall throw the other to the ground and overpower him.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sport of hand-to-hand struggle between unarmed contestants who try to throw each other down
- n. the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat
Sorry, no etymologies found.