from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Feeding on wood, as certain insects or insect larvae.
- adj. Destructive to wood, as certain crustaceans or fungi.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Feeding on wood. (of insects etc.)
- adj. Destructive to wood. (of fungi etc.)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Eating, boring in, or destroying, wood; -- said especially of certain insect larvæ, crustaceans, and mollusks.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the genus Xylophaga.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Wood-eating; habitually feeding upon wood; lignivorous, as an insect. See Cis (with cut).
- Perforating and destroying as if eating timber, as a mollusk or a crustacean.
From xylo- (wood) and suffix -phagous (Wiktionary)