from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thick lustrous soft fabric of wool and other animal hair, such as mohair, having a silky nap.
- n. The sable or its fur.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a thick, soft woolen fabric with a long nap
- n. the sable, or its pelt
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of woolen dress-goods made from long wool and finished with a furry nap.
- n. A fur, generally thought to be the same as sable.
- Of, pertaining to, or related to the sable, Mustela zibellina. See sable.
French, sable, from Italian zibellino, of Slavic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)