from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Separates items in a list.
- noun Separates clauses in a sentence.
- noun Separates coordinate adjectives.
- noun Sets off quoted material that is the grammatical object of an active verb of speaking or writing.
- noun Separates the year in a date.
- noun Separates a region from a geographic place within.
- noun Separates the surname from given name when the traditional order is the reverse.
- noun Separates title from a name.
- noun Marks
- noun Marks a noun or pronoun used independently when speaking to some person, place or thing.
- noun The thousands separator used in some countries.
- noun The decimal separator used in some countries.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word ,.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
jennarenn commented on the word ,
Argh! I hate commas; the rules are so bendy.
October 8, 2007