from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of northern Egypt on the Mediterranean Sea at the western tip of the Nile Delta. It was founded by Alexander the Great in 332 B.C. and became a repository of Jewish, Arab, and Hellenistic culture famous for its extensive libraries. Its pharos (lighthouse) was one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Population: 4,110,000.
- A city of central Louisiana on the Red River northwest of Baton Rouge. The original city was destroyed by Union troops in May 1864 during the Civil War. Population: 45,800.
- An independent city of northern Virginia on the Potomac River opposite Washington, D.C. Primarily a residential suburb of the capital, the city has many historic buildings. George Washington helped lay out the streets in 1749. Population: 137,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city and port in Egypt.
- proper n. A number of cities bearing the same name, including Alexandria, Virginia, USA.
- proper n. A female given name.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a city on the Mediterranean Sea, the chief port of Egypt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a town in Louisiana on the Red River
- n. the chief port of Egypt; located on the western edge of the Nile delta on the Mediterranean Sea; founded by Alexander the Great; the capital of ancient Egypt
Sorry, no etymologies found.
ALEXANDRIA, Egypt Reuters - More than 200 years after the Battle of the Nile, a British naval officer of the time and some of his companions were reburied Monday in a military cemetery in the nearby Egyptian city of Alexandria.
ALEXANDRIA - The Fergus Falls boys golf team traveled to Alexandria Thursday for a 13-team invitational, tying for fourth with a score of 330.
ALEXANDRIA - A church official says the clergyman credited with helping to push Congress to insert the phrase "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance has died in Alexandria, Pa.
ALEXANDRIA, LA (WAFB) - A Lafayette man will face criminal charges in an accident in Alexandria that killed a mother and her two daughters.
First priority, said Cox, the historic-preservation manager in Alexandria, is to make sure they are anchored securely.
A federal grand jury in Alexandria is examining the matter, according to a subpoena obtained by The Post.
The place I bought in Alexandria is now two homes each valued at well over $600,000.
That's when eyewitnesses claim two police officers dragged the 28-year-old away from an Internet caf� here in Alexandria and repeatedly slammed his head into nearby stone steps until he was dead.
So that trial began last month here in Alexandria, but it was adjourned after only 90 minutes.
To finance the facility, Nichols sold her house in Alexandria, Va., which generated about $80,000, and moved in with then-fiancé, Mike Schlegel.