from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- A city of southwest England west of London. It has been an important trading center since the 12th century.
- A city of extreme northeast Tennessee near Kingsport and Johnson City and contiguous with Bristol, Virginia. Originally the site of a stockade on the Wilderness Road, it is today home to a major auto-racing track.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A seaport city in the west of England.
- noun a kind of fine pasteboard, made with a smooth but usually unglazed surface.
- noun a brick of siliceous matter used for polishing cultery; -- originally manufactured at Bristol.
- noun rock crystal, or brilliant crystals of quartz, found in the mountain limestone near Bristol, and used in making ornaments, vases, etc. When polished, it is called
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- proper noun A
cityand countyin south-west England.
- proper noun A
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an industrial city and port in southwestern England near the mouth of the River Avon
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In Bristol last weekend, we took a walk down around the new @Bristol science exhibition site, for a visit to Wildwalk.
As the coast takes a northerly direction from Cape Newenham, that Cape fixes the northern limit of the great bay and gulf lying before the river Bristol, which, in honour of the Admiral, Earl of Bristol, was named _Bristol Bay_.
BRISTOL WINNER: Martin is a two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup race winner at Bristol (Tenn.)
BRISTOL, R.I. -- As the waters rose, the Bristol police closed Hope Street in downtown Bristol and motorists were told to detour on Route 136, which, in sections, wasn't much better.
BRISTOL (AP) - Vermont corrections officials say a Bristol police officer transporting a prisoner handcuffed her to a wall outside a jail, where she remained for about 30 minutes.
Salary pro rata £30,000 pa, Pension 5\% of salary. bristol or london. 1 post Bristol - £50,382, 1 post - London - £50,382 +
BRISTOL -- Two people have been arrested in Bristol on charges of attempting to receive 26 pounds of marijuana by mail.
BRISTOL, TN - MARCH 22: A general view of the track prior to the start of the race during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway on March 22, 2009 in Bristol, Tennessee.
BRISTOL, TN - MARCH 21: Kyle Busch, driver of the #18 Z-Line Designs Toyota, stands on the grid prior to that start of the NASCAR Nationwide Series Scotts Turf Builder 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway on March 21, 2009 in Bristol, Tennessee.
BRISTOL, TN - MARCH 22: Jimmie Johnson, driver of the #48 Lowes Chevrolet, sits in his pit while the rear tire changer has difficulity during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway on March 22, 2009 in Bristol, Tennessee.