from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southeast Rhode Island at the mouth of Narragansett Bay south-southeast of Providence. Settled in 1639, it was an important economic center in pre-Revolutionary times and in the 19th century became a fashionable summer resort where the wealthy built palatial "cottages.” The mansions and restored colonial buildings still attract tourists to the city, as do its tennis museum and yachting facilities. Population: 24,400.
- A borough of southeast Wales on an inlet of the Severn estuary northeast of Cardiff. It is an industrial and manufacturing center. Population: 116,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A common place name or element of a place name (i.e. Newport Beach, Newport Bay).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a resort city in southeastern Rhode Island; known for the summer homes of millionaires; important yachting center
- n. a port city in southeastern Wales
Sorry, no etymologies found.
NEWPORT - Italianfest could draw as many as 100,000 people to Newport this week, organizers said, and will provide an opportunity for the city to showcase itself.
NEWPORT - Newport jazz and folk festival founder George T. Wein, 83, yesterday said he plans to resume his leadership role in the events he sold in 2007.
NEWPORT FOLK FESTIVAL 50 (August 1 - 2) in historic Newport, RI.
NEWPORT - Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates finished a weeklong road show on Friday with a stop at the Naval War College in Newport, where he said he wants a military budget that focuses on the two wars the country is fighting and those it is likely to fight in the future instead of expensive, high-technology weapons systems.
NEWPORT - Those in charge of building the new courthouse addition in Newport have asked the Newport City Commission to issue bonds to fund the $30 million construction.
NEWPORT - Leaders from seven Northern Kentucky cities met on a bocce court in Newport on Wednesday to compete and kick off this year's Newport Italianfest.
NEWPORT - Delaware State Police say a man shot in a Newport storage unit is in grave condition at Christiana Hospital.
NEWPORT - For the next Blue Monday concert in Newport Monday, KASU Radio presents a band that was founded in Newport in the 1950s and made their first Sun recording in 1956 - Sonny Burgess and the Legendary Pacers.
For example, the first piece, which The Atlantic published today, begins in Newport, which is the very place where Tocqueville arrived in America.
Big Newport is located at 300 Newport Center Dr., in Newport Beach, directly across from Fashion Island.