from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A borough of southern England on the English Channel opposite the Isle of Wight. Chartered in 1194, it is a major naval base. Population: 187,000.
- A city of southeast Virginia opposite Norfolk. It has been a major naval base since pre-Revolutionary times. Population: 101,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in southern England
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a port town in southeastern New Hampshire on the Atlantic Ocean
- n. a port city in southern England on the English Channel; Britain's major naval base
- n. a port city in southeastern Virginia on the Elizabeth River opposite Norfolk; naval base; shipyards
Sorry, no etymologies found.
PORTSMOUTH (AFP) - Aston Villa remain in the hunt for a European place after Nathan Delfouneso's first Premier League goal clinched a 2-1 win against Portsmouth on Sunday.
PORTSMOUTH - Police in Portsmouth are investigating the city's first homicide of the year after a fatal shooting over the weekend.
PORTSMOUTH - A Portsmouth teen will be in district court this morning to receive his sentence after pleading guilty to the gruesome murder of a former classmate in a 2008 homicide that drew enormous media attention.
PORTSMOUTH Police in Portsmouth are investigating a homicide in which a man left a note directing police to his estranged wife's body and later turned himself in to police in
PORTSMOUTH - A carbon monoxide leak forced the evacuation of a Portsmouth, N.H., hotel, and sent 11 people to a hospital.
PORTSMOUTH A man has been arrested and charged with making and setting off a bottle bomb in a Portsmouth home yesterday.
PORTSMOUTH A student at Woodrow Wilson High School in Portsmouth is being interviewed by police after allegedly firing three shots from a handgun at the school today.
PORTSMOUTH, England - In danger of going out of business, Portsmouth has asked the Premier League if it can sell players outside of the transfer window to raise cash and pay its debts.
PORTSMOUTH -- A man sitting in a work vehicle was carjacked by several people in Portsmouth.
PORTSMOUTH - A marine biology team has euthanized a 2,000-pound whale that was stranded off of a Portsmouth beach over the weekend.