from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of a sect who appeared in France and Spain in the 3rd century, and believed in abstinence towards meat and sex.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Refraining from indulgence, especially from the indulgence of appetite; abstemious; continent; temperate.
- n. One who abstains.
- n. One of a sect who appeared in France and Spain in the 3d century.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Refraining from undue indulgence, especially in the use of food and drink; characterized by moderation; abstemious.
- n. One who abstains or is abstinent; an abstainer.
- n. [capitalized] One of a sect which appeared in France and Spain in the third century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who refrains from drinking intoxicating beverages
- adj. self-restraining; not indulging an appetite especially for food or drink
Similarly, some very health-minded people will do the healthy thing and remain abstinent until marriage, then remain faithful to their spouses.
Encouraging teens to be abstinent is a worthy (if impossible) goal, but not at the expense of leaving them unprepared to practice safe sex.
Cognitive performance in long-term abstinent alcoholic individuals.
Presumably the abstinent are the best judges of the ratedness of abstinence, over or not.
We don't want leaders who are willing to slap the public's desire -- support for comprehensive programs -- in the face, selling out to programs that will fund efforts to make us "pure" and "abstinent" -- and ultimately worse off -- until the age of 29!
Elsewhere I have shown that even the requirement for church leaders to be "abstinent" (1 Tim 3: 2) finds its precedent in the Old Testament strict prohibition against the use of alcoholic beverages by the priests (Lev 10: 9) .32 The construction of the phrase without article "mias gunaikos andra - one-wife-man" emphasizes the moral character of the individual as being totally committed to one woman.
I bet he fucked his cello when he was "abstinent".
"AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) says just to sever your ties with those people to be sure that you stay abstinent."
The same way sex education advocates acknowledge that not all teens will be abstinent and need to learn how to protect themselves and be safe, we need to acknowledge that not all teens are going to abstain from drug use and they also need to be provided honest drug education that will keep them safe.
Earlier studies showed that 42 percent of smokers receiving the vaccine remained abstinent after a year, compared with 21 percent who got a placebo shot.