from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In theology and ethics, a thing indifferent; a tenet or practice which may be considered non-essential.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An indifferent matter.
- noun philosophy A matter that is morally neutral.
- noun theology Something neither forbidden nor commanded by scripture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
*  Ei goun hōs en hupothesei logou, katheis ouranothen autos heauton pamphaēs hēlios sun anthrōpois epi gēs politeuoito, oudena tōn epi tēs gēs meinai an adiaphoron, pantōn sullēbdēn empsuchōn homou kai apsuchōn athroa tē tou phōtos prosbolē diaphtharēsomenōn
Ei goun hōs en hupothesei logou, katheis ouranothen autos heauton pamphaēs hēlios sun anthrōpois epi gēs politeuoito, oudena tōn epi tēs gēs meinai an adiaphoron, pantōn sullēbdēn empsuchōn homou kai apsuchōn athroa tē tou phōtos prosbolē diaphtharēsomenōn.
For if the condition is good, the adiaphoron, too, is good, and its observance is commanded.
([Greek: adunaton Kunikô, adiaphoron to telos prothemenô, to agathon eidenai plên adikphorias]) the Cynics also seem to be outside the circle of real philosophers.
For Augustine, in a long discussion refutes the opinion of those who thought that concupiscence in man is not a fault but an adiaphoron, as color of the body or ill health is said to be an adiaphoron [as to have a black or a white body is neither good nor evil].
But if the adversaries will contend that the fomes [or evil inclination] is an adiaphoron, not only many passages of Scripture but simply the entire Church [and all the Fathers] will contradict them.
Again, just as circumcision or the slaying of victims would not be a service of God now, so the rite of the Nazarites ought not to be presented now as a service, but it ought to be judged simply as an adiaphoron.
_ Nothing is an adiaphoron in case of confession and offense. "
The entire argument of the Anti-Adiaphorists was by him reduced to the following principle or axiom: "_Nihil est adiaphoron in casu confessionis et scandali.
_ Nothing is an adiaphoron when confession and offense are involved. "