from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A decorative molding carried around an arched wall opening.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An ornamental molding or band following the curve on the underside of an arch.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The architectural member surrounding the curved opening of an arch, corresponding to the architrave in the case of a square opening.
  • n. More commonly, the molding or other ornaments with which the wall face of the voussoirs of an arch is charged.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An ornamental molding or band of moldings on the face of an arch following the contour of the extrados; an arch-molding. Also called architrave.


Italian archivolto or French archivolte (French, from Italian) : arco, arch (from Latin arcus) + volta, vault (from Latin volūta; see vault1).
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The perceptual possession of a unit of space is practically instantaneous when, for example, an expert driver's eye takes in a highway symbol - the black mouth and neat archivolt within a red triangle...

    - Nabokov, Ada, or Ardor

    June 5, 2008