from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that begins.
- n. One who is just starting to learn or do something; a novice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who is just starting at something, or has only recently started.
- n. Someone who sets (or puts) something in motion
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who begins or originates anything. Specifically: A young or inexperienced practitioner or student; a tyro.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who begins or originates; one who starts or first leads off; an author or originator.
- n. One beginning to learn or practise; a novice; a tyro: as, “a sermon of a new beginner,” Swift.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who founds or establishes some institution
- n. someone new to a field or activity
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Note that the term beginner is used in a broader sense.
An easy one for a beginner is the dress with the square neck - there are no buttons or zippers, instead there is a sash to pull in the waist and darts to make it a bit more fitted in front.
Starting out with the big stuff as a beginner is a good way to pick up some bad habits.
I am what you call a beginner, or advanced beginner in photography.
So my advice to the beginner is not to do any of this in isolation.
The difference between an experienced writer and a beginner is quite simple.
Interesting as I have been told in beginner Spanish classes (3 of them as I am slow) that the Spanish "e" is always like a English long "a".
The first overwhelming conundrum facing any beginner is that eternal question - what program should I begin with?
He realized that job opportunities were greatest on smaller papers and with a bit of luck one would get more experience in two years on a small paper than on a big one where the beginner is often ignored.
In my opinion, age is not a factor in beginner’s mind.