from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang An untrained or inexperienced recruit, as in the army or police.
- n. Slang An inexperienced person; a novice.
- n. Sports A first-year player, especially in a professional sport.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An inexperienced recruit, especially in the police or armed forces.
- n. A novice.
- n. An athlete either new to the sport or to a team or in his first year of professional competition, especially said of baseball, basketball, hockey and American football players.
- n. A type of firecracker, used by farmers to scare rooks.
- adj. non-professional; amateur
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A recruit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward and inexperienced youth
If the 28-year old PGA Tour rookie is able to hold off Lucas Glover and other challengers, he might rewrite some records in the book.
Posting a 3.83 ERA in less than half a season as a rookie is an impressive way to break into the major leagues.
"We've seen a huge rise in what we call the rookie delinquent taxpayer," he said.
And yes, they have a potential franchise quarterback in rookie Matthew Stafford — and on this one, team officials are crossing their fingers.
The 2009-10 rookie is one of 31 players invited to participate in the team's training camp July 19-24 in Las Vegas as the club begins preparations for the 2012 Olympic Games in London. —
Jennings started out hot last season and was a favorite to win rookie of the year after the first month before he suddenly hit the, um, wall.
The second-highest ranked rookie is No. 2 overall pick Evan Turner, who is sixth at 32.7 minutes per game.
Every rookie that come into the league should want to win rookie of the year.
I don't want ... he shouldn't have to say, 'John is going to win rookie of the year; Blake Griffin is going to be rookie of the year.'
David Nelson might not get a ton of gameplay, but when the rookie is needed, he has shown he can deliver, making some critical late-game catches both this week and last.