from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The illegal business of buying or selling goods or currency in violation of restrictions such as price controls or rationing.
- n. A place where these illegal operations are carried on.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. trade that is in violation of restrictions, rationing or price controls
- n. the people who engage in such trade (considered as a group), or that sector of the economy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the illicit buying and selling of goods, in violation of price controls, rationing, tax laws, prohibition of sale, etc.
- n. a place where such illegal commerce is conducted, or the entire system of such illicit commerce considered as a whole.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. people who engage in illicit trade
- v. deal in illegally, such as arms or liquor
- n. an illegal market in which goods or currencies are bought and sold in violation of rationing or controls
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.