from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A signed check with no amount to be paid filled in.
- n. Total freedom of action; carte blanche.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A signed check of the type used to draw money from a bank account containing no information as to the amount to be paid with it.
- n. A grant of complete authority to spend an unlimited amount of money, or to take other actions without restraint.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a check that has been signed but with the amount payable left blank
- n. freedom to do as you see fit
Sorry, no etymologies found.