from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A large rounded mass of rock lying on the surface of the ground or embedded in the soil.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A large piece of stone that can theoretically be moved if enough force is applied.
  • n. A particle greater than 256 mm in diameter, following the Wentworth scale
  • v. To engage in bouldering

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Same as bowlder.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To wear smooth, as an emery-wheel, by abrading with small flint pebbles. Also spelled bowlder.
  • n. A loose rock, or one which has been torn from its native bed and transported to some distance.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a large smooth mass of rock detached from its place of origin
  • n. a town in north central Colorado; Rocky Mountains resort center and university town


Middle English bulder, of Scandinavian origin; see bhel-2 in Indo-European roots.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English bulder, possibly from Swedish bullersten ("noisy stone"), or possibly from Dutch bolder (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A lump of rock must be bigger than 256 millimetres (just over ten inches) to be a boulder, according to geologists' Udden-Wentworth scale.

    February 26, 2007