from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various small wingless insects of the order Archaeognatha, having a three-pronged tail and large compound eyes and tending to jump when disturbed.
- noun A silverfish.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A common name of the thysanurous insects of the suborder Cinura: so called from the long filiform abdominal appendages. They are of the genera Campodea, Lepisma, etc. See cut under
- noun One of the many names borne by the ruddy duck, Erismatura rubida, given on account of the stiff tail-feathers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) An insect of the genera Lepisma, Campodea, etc., belonging to the Thysanura.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any of various small active
insectsof the order Thysanura, that have two or three bristles at the end of their abdomenand that do not have wings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun small wingless insect with a long bristlelike tail
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.