from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various passerine, chiefly tropical Old World songbirds of the family Pycnonotidae, having grayish or brownish plumage.
- n. A songbird often mentioned in Persian poetry and thought to be a nightingale.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several passerine songbirds, of the family Pycnonotidae, native to Africa and parts of Asia, sometimes known as the ‘nightingale of the East’.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Persian nightingale (Pycnonotus jocosus). The name is also applied to several other Asiatic singing birds, of the family Timaliidæ. The green bulbuls belong to the Chloropsis and allied genera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Persian name of the nightingale, or a species of nightingale, rendered familiar in English poetry by Moore, Byron, and others.
- n. Specifically In ornithology, a bird of the family Pycnonotidæ.
- n. A name given to the yak.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nightingale spoken of in Persian poetry
Sultan's temper was sometimes fiery, said foreign officials of the 1960s, but his habit of working long into the night earned him the nickname "bulbul" or "nightingale".
The "bulbul" is a "species of the sub-family pycnonoti of the Thrush family, admired in the East for their song as the nightingale is in Europe."
They pass as far South as Shiraz, where they meet the plump little Indian bulbul, which is often mistaken for the Shiraz poets 'singing-bird.
The hen has the appearance of a kind of bulbul, being chestnut-hued with a white breast and a metallic blue-black crest.
April 24th, 2008 11: 18 am ET mr. obama victories are due to his being honest and not talking down to the voters. get honest cnn big symbolic victory. hillary was ahead at one time by 20 plus points and she only won by 9.2 points bulbul
Other birds include: the endemic Seychelles bulbul Hypsipetes crassirostris, blue pigeon Alectroenas pulcherrima, Seychelles sunbird Nectarinia dussamieri, Seychelles kestrel Falco araea and an endemic cave-nesting swiftlet Collocalia francica elaphra.
Species include black-naped fruit pigeon Ptilinopus melanospila, large brown cuckoo dove Macropygia phasianella, emerald dove Chalcophaps indica, collared kingfisher Halcyon chloris and yellow-vented bulbul Pycnonotus goiavier.
However, there are no babblers, only two sylvine warblers, and just one bulbul species.
Indonesia's massive cage bird trade has also placed a number of species such as Bali Starling and Straw-headed bulbul (Pycnonotus zeylanicus, VU) under serious threat; the latter species, once common across its range, is now confined largely to remote areas.
Family Common Name Species Timaliidae Rufous babbler Turdoides subrufus Pycnonotidae Yellow-throated bulbul Pycnonotus xantholaemus An asterisk signifies that the species 'range is limited to this ecoregion.