from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device used in internal-combustion engines to produce an explosive mixture of vaporized fuel and air.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device in an internal combustion engine where fuel is vaporized and mixed with air prior to ignition.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An apparatus in which coal gas, hydrogen, or air is passed through or over a volatile hydrocarbon, in order to confer or increase illuminating power.
- n. One that carburets; specif., an apparatus in which air or gas is carbureted, as by passing it through a light petroleum oil. The carburetor for a gasoline engine is usually either a surface carburetor, or alternatively a float carburetor (called also float-feed carburetor, or spray carburetor). In the former air is charged by being passed over the surface of gasoline. In the latter a fine spray of gasoline is drawn from an atomizing nozzle by a current of air induced by the suction of the engine piston, the supply of gasoline being regulated by a float which actuates a needle valve controlling the outlet of the feed pipe. Alcohol and other volatile inflammable liquids may be used instead of gasoline.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. mixes air with gasoline vapor prior to explosion
I use the brush first rapped with a cleaning patch soaked in carburetor cleaner.
KC - he does! you outed yourself by using the word carburetor, you know.lol. anonymous - my sentiments, exactly.
To the reservoir is attached the carburetor, which is connected to the motor by a pipe.
After googling "carburetor," I discovered my car doesn't have one.
We examine whether rebuilding today's "carburetor" is worth it ...
The gasoline comes in here from the tank behind -- this is called the carburetor, it has a jet to vaporize the gasoline, and the vapour is sucked into each of these cylinders in turn when the piston moves -- like this. "
Need you to run down to Earl's and get my carburetor.
I taught myself multivariable calculus, and when the carburetor on my Mustang died, I fixed it myself.
If you choose to put an additive in the tank, make sure you clean out the fuel from the line and the carburetor.
Talladega Superspeedway, a sister track to Daytona because of its size and a rule requiring carburetor restrictor plates to choke airflow to the engine and reduce speeds, was repaved two years ago, and drivers ran in single-file lines for much of 500 miles in a race last fall that was roundly criticized.