from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A proofreading symbol (‸) used to indicate where something is to be inserted in a line of printed or written matter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An indicator, often a blinking line or bar, indicating where the next insertion or other edit will take place. Also called a cursor.
- n. A háček.
- n. A kind of turtle, the hawksbill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mark [^] used by writers and proof readers to indicate that something is interlined above, or inserted in the margin, which belongs in the place marked by the caret.
- n. The hawkbill turtle. See hawkbill.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mark (∧) used in writing, in correcting printers' proofs, etc., to indicate the proper place of something that is interlined or written in the margin.
- n. A name of the hawkbill sea-turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mark used by an author or editor to indicate where something is to be inserted into a text
A caret is a proofreader's symbol, indicating where words or letters are to be inserted.
"Terror indeed," thought I. "Pannum nossum quotditty hamminum da nobs holyday, e missy nobs debitty nossa si cut nos demittimissibus debetenibas nossimus e, ne, nos hem-duckam in, in, in temptationemum, sed lillibery nos a ma -- ma --" Here a heavy lash brought the very Oh! that was "caret" to complete the sentence.
a heavy lash brought the very Oh! that was "caret" to complete the sentence.
Note, that the Chinese do not make their forgeries from the same caret of gold or silver as the originals.
Monster neon signs, big, blow-up gorillas floating above the used cars outside; sleek, halogen-spotted showrooms where new cars look like thousand caret diamonds in an oversized jewelry store.
But David Cameron says there is room for cooperation on such issues as education and the environment, and he held out the caret of at least, perhaps, discussing what the Lib Dems really want - voting reform and a switch to proportional representation.
Caret Browsing: This works like moving the caret in a Word doc.
The wear 4 caret size pearl stone studded in silver ring (open setting) on your small finger on any Monday during evening time.
Shift+click: Select from the current caret position to the mouse cursor location
Shift+Home/End: Select all the text from the current caret position to the beginning or end of the current line.