Help support Wordnik by adopting your favorite word!


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Chiefly Southern U.S. A tall piece of furniture typically having drawers on one side and space for hanging clothes on the other.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A piece of furniture consisting of a wardrobe combined with a chest of drawers


chiffo(nier) + (ward)robe.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • See comment on chiffarobe, which I think is a misspelling. (I didn't check every single dictionary...)

    October 22, 2007