from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pungent relish made of fruits, spices, and herbs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sweet or savory but usually spicy condiment, originally from eastern India, made from a variety of fruits and/or vegetables, often containing significant amounts of fresh green or dried red chili peppers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A warm or spicy condiment or pickle made in India, compounded of various vegetable substances, such as chopped fruits or green tomatoes, etc., often cooked with sweets and acids such as sugar and vinegar, with ginger and spices.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the East Indies, a condiment compounded of sweets and acids.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a spicy condiment made of chopped fruits or vegetables cooked in vinegar and sugar with ginger and spices
Serve the stew topping with the caramelized apples and onions as well as a drizzle of tamarind chutney (the chutney is the inky dark drizzle in the pictures).
In fact, the English word chutney itself derives from Indian languages.
This chutney is a permanent feature of the everyday menu in my parents 'home, but for some strange reason, I had never attempted to make it.
Because of this I also served with an apple raisin chutney, but I don't believe I would have used one with flatbread.
The chutney is what really pulls the whole dish together — especially if you serve it with Basmati rice, as we did.
Make sure you enjoy spicy food, the chutney is HOT (just how i like it).
The chutney is a terrific example of the wonderful food that can be made with wild gleanings.
This chutney is for those times especially here in Blr one has to buy a separate bunch of kadipatta not like Mumbai where you can ask your neighborhood vendor for masala and he hands out a bit of cilantro, kadipatta and green chilies.
Mallugirl said ... wonderful breakfast. peanut chutney is so versatile and ur looks spicy!!! thanks
Hi trupti! peanut chutney is mouth watering! will be great with hot dosais too!!!!!!