from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music A symbol indicating the pitch represented by one line of a staff, in relation to which the other pitches of the staff can be determined.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A symbol found on a musical staff that indicates the pitches indicated by the lines on the staff
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A character used in musical notation to determine the position and pitch of the scale as represented on the staff.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, a character placed upon a staff to indicate the name and pitch of one of its degrees, so that the names of the others may be known.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a musical notation written on a staff indicating the pitch of the notes following it
mettre la clef sous la porte clefs en main clé à bougie la clef des champs livre à clef*
He had several nose jobs, his lips thinned, and chin clef put in, among other alterations.
I wonder if livre à clef is a 'book key' or an index?
In French, the clef is a key, and in English, the 'clef' is also part of the musical signature.
If original, it is likely that the piece was composed in the "soprano" (C1) clef versus the treble clef, meaning that the range of the piece did not stray too far from the bounds of middle-C to the D a ninth above.
_Mélanges d'une petite Bibliothèque_ describes a 'clef'.
"Eighteen Acres" (the title refers to the size of the White House grounds) isn't precisely a roman a clef -- there are, for one thing, no characters who suggest George or Laura Bush or Dick Cheney -- but Wallace does seem to be having a bit of sport with two of her erstwhile colleagues.
She was wearing the treble clef of a nightgown and riding into the flood.
The roman á clef doesn't interest me at all, and with the exception of Vietnam itself, The Ha-Ha is very much a work of the imagination.
Georgina Bloomberg's roman a clef may reveal an intimate portrait of her rich and famous daddy under the guise of fiction.