from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of congé.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Formal departure, ceremonial leave-taking.
- n. A bow.
- n. A type of thick rice porridge or soup, sometimes prepared with vegetables and/or meat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- See congé, conge.
- n. Boiled rice; rice gruel.
- n. A jail; a lockup.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Leave to depart; leave-taking; dismissal; congé.
- n. An act of respect performed by persons on separating or taking leave; hence, a customary act of reverence or civility on other occasions; a bow or a courtesy.
- To give leave or command to depart; dismiss; take leave of.
- To take leave with the customary civilities.
- To use ceremonious and respectful inclinations of the body; bow; salute.
- n. In India, rice-water or -gruel; water in which rice has been boiled, much used in the diet of invalids.
- n. Any gruel or similar food for invalids.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (architecture) a concave molding
- v. depart after obtaining formal permission
- n. formal permission to depart
- n. an abrupt and unceremonious dismissal
- v. perform a ceremonious bow
- n. a Chinese rice gruel eaten for breakfast
I had a pumpkin congee and then the spicy tofu stew, which came with a kimchi pancake and a side of japche and two different kinds of rice.
The traditional Chinese rice porridge, called congee , will soon become a staple of hotel breakfast buffets in America and abroad as U.S.-based hotel chains compete for growing numbers of Chinese travelers.
This creamy Chinese rice porridge—also known as congee—is a perfect cold-weather soup, and a fine vehicle for delicious add-ins.
On a rainy winter morning in San Francisco, nothing beats a steaming hot bowl of jook, Asian-style rice porridge also known as congee, at Hing Lung in Chinatown.
Rice porridge, called congee by the Chinese, is a favorite breakfast and is the best food to serve for those who are weak or unable to assimilate other foods.
A Also known as congee or porridge and made from any cereal, legume or grain, it is eaten unseasoned, sweet or savory and is an all-day favorite of the
The hole was quickly filled by gelato, frozen custard and Also known as congee or porridge and made from any cereal, legume or grain, it is eaten unseasoned, sweet or savory and is an all-day favorite of the
Yum Brands Inc. has had success in China with its KFC fried-chicken chain by offering menu items familiar to Chinese consumers, such as congee, or rice porridge, and the Dragon Twister, a sandwich wrap filled with chicken, Peking duck sauce, cucumbers and scallions.
It says "congee" on the can--I thought that was odd.
And whichever name you call it, it will still taste as good though I suspect the word "congee" sounds much more sophisticated and refined to be used.