from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large sofa, often convertible into a bed.
- n. A small desk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large sofa, especially a formal one.
- n. A writing desk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of small writing table, generally somewhat ornamental, and forming a piece of furniture for the parlor or boudoir.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of small writing-desk.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small decorative writing desk
- n. a city in eastern Iowa on the Mississippi River across from Moline and Rock Island
- n. a large sofa usually convertible into a bed
The only person in the world I've ever heard use the word davenport is my mother!
"I have had dear René's harp removed to a lumber room, her portrait taken down from the library wall," she said, in her usual purring tones; "and her davenport is being wheeled into my own sitting-room.
Marjorie almost ran back to the davenport -- she was beginning to feel as if the davenport was the nearest she had to a mother -- and flung herself on it in a storm of angry tears.
My grandmother always called it a "davenport", which made even less sense to me.
As for "davenport," it's a regionalism, and a dying one at that.
They sat close to one another on a rose davenport.
As to Ok, here macon online car insurance. online auto insurance could davenport new car insurance car insurance for hihg risk, with online auto insurance
Short of blacking her face I think she has run out of threats and insults. dan davenport
I'm sure your 'factual comments' will have much impact on democratic voters and the Democratic party, REALLY IT WILL. dan davenport
Her husband Ralph lay sprawled upon the davenport, smoking a cigarette and reading the current issue of EXTRAORDINARY STORIES against an unheard background of music.