from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang An empty-headed or silly person.
- n. An object, such as a brick or stone, used as a missile.
- n. Slang An unspecified gadget or other small article, especially one whose name is unknown or forgotten.
- n. Printing A typographical ornament or symbol.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A silly, crazy or stupid person.
- n. A special ornamental typographical symbol, such as a bullet, an arrow, a pointing hand etc.
- n. An architectural style of apartment building, where the second storey overhangs an area for parking cars.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a silly empty-headed person
I find it fitting that the term dingbat also refers to harebrained humans, a la Edith Bunker or a character in a George Herriman comic strip.
If my husband Buffoon his affectionate nickname for me is dingbat, which is much better than "Schmoopie" had a one-night stand, I would definitely want him to tell me about it.
If my husband Buffoon his affectionate nickname for me is dingbat, which is much better than
I think it will not do Sarah any good to align herself with this "dingbat".
The Los Angeles Forum for Architecture and Urban Design presents the Dingbat 2.0 Exhibition, featuring winning and selected entries from the recently completed Dingbat 2.0 Housing Competition, which challenged architects and designers to reconsider Los Angeles 'ubiquitous "dingbat" apartment building for the 21st century.
No wonder PZ Myers called Sam Harris a "dingbat", abeit for an entirely different screwy argument he made.
When I say "dingbat," incidentally, I am not implying that I wish she'd been more competent.
We also got to include a "dingbat," or a symbol of our choice, so we drew a little face gritting its teeth.
Yes, that Jean Stapleton -- Archie Bunker's "dingbat" wife from _All in the Family_.
Granted, it wouldn't be hard to find evidence that Palin has the qualities of a "dingbat", but why not just take the easy way out and call her a bimbo?