from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman's garment having capelike arm pieces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A loose garment with narrow sleeves and an opening in the front
- n. A woman’s garment with wide capelike sleeves
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A long robe or outer garment, with long sleeves, worn by the Turks.
- n. A woman's cloak with capelike pieces instead of sleeves.
- n. The uniform jacket of many European hussar regiments, worn like a cloak, fastened with a cord or chain, and with sleeves hanging loose.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A long robe, open in front, and having narrow sleeves buttoned at the wrist, worn by the Turks over their other garments.
- n. The uniform jacket of a hussar, richly ornamented with braid, and peculiar in that it is worn like a cloak with one or both sleeves hanging loose.
- n. An outer garment worn by women, with a cape or hanging piece over the arm instead of a sleeve; a kind of mantle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hussar's jacket worn over the shoulders
- n. a woman's cloak with dolman sleeves
*** A dolman is a garment, similar to a jacket, that was cut especially to sit over a bustle.
Combine that with my pretty severe short waistedness and I had set-in "dolman" sleeves that came out of my waist.
American Eagle Outfitters' Aerie brand merchandises sweatpants, leggings and other relaxed styles with a variety of shirts, including those with asymmetrical hems or dolman sleeves.
Below, our picks for the best dolman sleeve dresses that'll look good on you, too:
Sidibe really knows how to dress her shape, in this bright Tommy Hilfiger dolman sleeve wrap dress, with long necklaces draped over it.
Leave it to Victoria's Secret to make a dolman sleeve dress that has a roomy upper half, but is still completely sexy.
You can purchase the ‘incredible truckstop dolman dress’ for wait…
A melange of deep purple, midnight blue and rich copper, this dolman oversized sweater is perfect for the friend who adores oversized, eye-catching knits.
For instance, if your closet is filled with neutrals, a juicy persimmon shawl-collared coat with dolman sleeves is just the right prescription.
Especially the Princess lines and the dolman sleeves together -- I think that looks so "modern," in the retro sense of the word.