from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bomb, shell, or explosive round that fails to detonate.
- n. Informal One that is disappointingly ineffective or unsuccessful.
- n. Informal Clothing.
- n. Informal Personal belongings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device or machine that is useless because it does not work properly or has failed to work, such as a bomb, or explosive projectile.
- n. A lottery ticket that does not give a payout.
- n. Clothes, now always used in plural form duds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A coarse cloak or mantle.
- n. A rag.
- n. plural [Formerly also spelled dudes, as in Harman's “Caveat” (1567), where the word is erroneously set down as “pedlar's French”—that is, thieves' cant.] Clothes; especially, poor or ragged clothing; tatters: used in contempt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. failing to detonate; especially not charged with an active explosive
- n. someone who is unsuccessful
- n. an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual
- n. an explosion that fails to occur
The latest dud from the Maple Leafs came Tuesday night with a 6-3 home loss to the Thrashers.
But could either of them rescue the evening that some political observers called a dud?
And, can Fred Thompson live up to his supporters 'expectations in the presidential race or is he what one top political analyst who's been there -- the White House, that is -- calls a dud?
Dreams are dud, which is why they stay dreams and never become reality.
“The ungainly chestnut Jake always referred to as the dud?”
Hurrdurr Today: RIM CEO calls dud BlackBerry Storm a "netbook"
"The report is devoid of any credibility, a report which is an exercise in futility, a report which has been called a dud report and the Action Taken Report (ATR) itself indicates it is an unimplementable report," Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said.
"Not for nothing is this government increasingly being known as the dud Rudd government."
Illinois doesn't seem to be any way to recall a dud gov.
The '78 B:G is a true "dud" in every sense of the word.