from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is filled with enthusiasm; one who is ardently absorbed in an interest or pursuit: a baseball enthusiast.
- n. A zealot; a fanatic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person filled with or guided by enthusiasm.
- n. A person exhibiting over-zealous religious fervour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One moved or actuated by enthusiasm; as: (a) One who imagines himself divinely inspired, or possessed of some special revelation; a religious madman; a fanatic. (b) One whose mind is wholly possessed and heated by what engages it; one who is influenced by a peculiar; fervor of mind; an ardent and imaginative person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who imagines he has special or supernatural converse with God, or that he is divinely instructed or commissioned.
- n. One who is given to or characterized by enthusiasm; one whose mind is excited and whose feelings are engrossed in devotion to a belief or a principle, or the pursuit of an object; one who is swayed to a great or an undue extent by emotion in regard to anything; a person of ardent zeal.
- n. [capitalized] Eccles., one of the names given to a Euchite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity
- n. a person having a strong liking for something
Model train enthusiast David K. Smith has built a miniscule train layout which works – the train travels in an ellipse, including through a “mountain.”
The latest enthusiast is the German insurance company Munich Re.
Much efforts and money were invested in this colorful and technologically advanced production at the Adelphi Theatre in London's West End. Yet, even an amateur musical enthusiast is hard-pressed to understand what justified the show.
Yet, even an amateur musical enthusiast is hard-pressed to understand what justified the show.
Andrew Bridgeston, a Sasquatch enthusiast, is positive that one of these legendary creatures is involved with the disappearances.
I watch the way my husband, a long-time outdoor enthusiast, is radiant from his one-on-one interaction with the sea turtles, and I understand what Nichols means.
A precursor to the hipster Fred, he is recognized by his eyeglass mirror, encrusted beard and the focused vacancy of a long-term enthusiast of psychedelics.
Tuomo Sipola, whom Teresa Nielsen Hayden describes as "a constructed-languages enthusiast," is making a "common fantasy tongue" -- a kind of Esperanto for inhabitants of fantasy worlds.
David Peura, a long-time H. Pylori enthusiast from the US Army, moved to UVA in 1992.
In this sense, our restless Romantic enthusiast is also an imperialist agent, culturally expropriating Grecian territory and artifacts based on a presumed commonality of sensibility and shared historical experience of imperial and civilizational grandezza.