from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tramp; a vagrant.
- n. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
- n. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
- n. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.
- intransitive v. To live by begging and scavenging from place to place. Often used with around.
- intransitive v. To loaf.
- transitive v. To acquire by begging; cadge. See Synonyms at cadge.
- transitive v. Slang To depress, dishearten, or dismay. Often used with out.
- adj. Inferior; worthless: gave me bum advice; did a bum job of fixing the car.
- adj. Disabled; malfunctioning: a bum shoulder.
- adj. Unfavorable or unfair: got a bum deal on my final grade for the course.
- adj. Unpleasant; lousy: had a bum time at the party.
- idiom on the bum Living as a vagrant or tramp.
- idiom on the bum Out of order; broken.
- n. Chiefly British Slang The buttocks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The buttocks
- n. (rare, Canada, US) The anus
- n. A person
- v. to sodomize; to engage in anal sex
- n. A hobo; a homeless person, usually a man
- n. A lazy, incompetent, or annoying person, usually a man
- n. A player, usually a man, who often or usually plays poorly
- n. A drinking spree.
- v. To ask someone to give one (something) for free; to beg for something
- v. To behave like a hobo or vagabond; to loiter
- v. To wet the end of a marijuana cigarette (spliff)
- adj. Of poor quality or highly undesirable.
- adj. Unfair.
- adj. Injured and without the possibility of full repair, defective.
- adj. Unpleasant.
- v. to depress; to make unhappy
- n. A humming noise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The buttock.
- intransitive v. To make murmuring or humming sound.
- transitive v. To borrow without intention of returning; to cadge; ; -- usually with inexpensive items as the object.
- n. A humming noise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a hollow noise; boom; hum; buzz.
- To rush with a murmuring sound.
- 3. To guzzle; drink.
- To sponge on others for a living; lead an idle or dissolute life.
- To dun.
- To spin (a top).
- To strike; beat.
- n. An imitative word expressive of a droning or humming sound, as that made by the bee; a hum.
- n. A drink.
- n. A drunken loafer; one who leads an idle, dissolute life; a bummer.
- n. 4. A drunken spree; a debauch.
- n. Hence A convivial meeting.
- n. The buttocks; the part of the body on which one sits.
- n. A bumbailiff; the follower or assistant of a bailiff.
- Of poor quality; low-down: as, a bum show; a bum performance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- v. ask for and get free; be a parasite
- v. be lazy or idle
- n. a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible
- n. a disreputable vagrant
- n. person who does no work
- adj. of very poor quality; flimsy
For example, in 1997 my friend (and then coworker) Ross Raihala was interviewing Art Linkletter, and Linkletter became upset when Ross used the terms hobo and bum interchangeably (apparently, Linkletter had worked as a hobo in his twenties and found the word bum to be mildly offensive).
“Barry called me Bubble Lips, and said my bum is the size of Texas.”
This bum is about the sleaziest piece of scum that has ever achieved the level of a senator in my lifetime.
This they thought had been the child, but it was her fundament, that was slipped out with the mollification of her straight entrail, which you call the bum-gut, and that merely by eating of too many tripes, as we have showed you before.
You are only seeing the side of her one leg and her bum is in the back part.
This bum is lying thru his teeth everytime he opens his mouth and he expects the rest of the US to believe in it??
That lazy bum is such a blank, he'll never practice batting skills enough to become a blank.
When that bell rings and I'm still standin ', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood .
But now that Cermele and I work where being a trout bum is PC, we made plans to fish the Big Bushkill River at Resica Falls Boy Scout Reservation in Pennsylvania on Memorial Day weekend.
As I was puling up my pants, she said, LOUDLY, Mommy, your bum is more hairier than mine.