from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two folds of skin and muscle that can be closed over the exposed portion of the eyeball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thin skin membrane that covers and moves over an eye.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The cover of the eye; that portion of movable skin with which an animal covers or uncovers the eyeball at pleasure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The cover of the eye; that portion of movable skin with which an animal covers the eyeball or uncovers it at pleasure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. either of two folds of skin that can be moved to cover or open the eye
It feels as though the eyelid is scratched, but it could be a symptom of whatever ails me.
Inside, Sonia smuggled a peripheral peek over at Ezra and suddenly her eyelid was a spasm of truth.
The index-finger is placed on his eyebrow, the middle finger grasping the eyelid, which is pressed, with either a radial or circular motion, against the eye.
At the external angle of the eyelid was a fold of conjunctiva which extended 0.5 cm. in front of the conjunctiva, to which it did not adhere, therefore constituting a fourth eyelid.
At the external angle of the eyelid was a fold of conjunctiva which extended 0.5 cm. in front of the conjunctiva, to which it did not adhere, therefore constituting
In addition to these it is defended by a third eyelid, called the nictitating eyelid, which is similar to that one which may be seen (if watched for) so frequently and rapidly to cross the eye of birds, e.g. of a hawk.
And even if she does undergo such surgery, called an eyelid skin graft - which would require the surgeon to remove and replace three centimeters of skin near her eyelashes - there are no guarantees.
So, we took him and the doctor told us it was because the eyelid is the thinnest skin on the body, it doesn't take much fluid to look swollen.
The doctor said that they would actually insert the needle in my eyelid, which isn't any better.
In fact, the most common tumour on the eyelid is a benign adenoma.