feather-spring love


from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The sear spring of a gun-lock.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word feather-spring.


  • "No: but this little thing -- that is called the feather-spring."

    Handy Andy, Volume One A Tale of Irish Life, in Two Volumes Samuel Lover 1832

  • At the word Fire!” continued he, “you will pull the trigger briskly, then return to the priming position, the muzzle of your firelock directly in front, the left hand just forward of the feather-spring, seize the cock with the thumb and forefinger of the right hand.”

    Margaret 1851


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Definition: the spring in a gun-lock which causes the sear, which holds the hammer at full or half cock, to catch in the notch of the tumbler.

    That's the technical definition. The feather-spring is a nifty part of the lock (the entire firing mechanism) on a flintlock musket. Really the word is cooler than the object itself.

    January 31, 2007