from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Having fimbriae; fringed, as the edge of a petal or the opening of a duct.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. fringed, e.g. where the ends of a petal are split into two or more divisions.
  • v. To hem; to fringe.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Having the edge or extremity bordered by filiform processes thicker than hairs; fringed
  • transitive v. To hem; to fringe.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • In zoology and botany, fringed; bordered with hairs or with filiform processes or laciniations. Also fimbriated.
  • In heraldry, same as fimbriated, 2.
  • To finish or decorate with a border of any kind, as a fringe, a hem, or a narrow stripe of different color from the rest of the surface.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. having a fringe of slender processes


Latin fimbri─ütus, from fimbriae, fringe.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.