from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A whistlelike mouthpiece for certain wind instruments, such as a recorder or flageolet, that channels the breath toward the sounding edge of a side opening.
  • noun An object similar to a fipple in an organ pipe.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The under lip.
  • noun A stopper, as at the mouth of a musical wind-instrument.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun obsolete A stopper, as in a wind instrument of music.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun music The block (typically of wood) that forms the floor of the windway in a wind instrument.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a wooden plug forming a flue pipe (as the mouthpiece of a recorder)


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Origin unknown.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word fipple.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • s:

    Fipple (noun) - (1) The underlip. "See how he hangs his fipple." --John Brockett's Glossary of North Country Words, 1825 (2) The underlip in men and animals, when it hangs down large and loose. "To hang one's fipple," to look disappointed, discontented, or sulky; also, to weep. --John Jamieson's Scottish Etymological Dictionary, 1808

    April 22, 2018

  • "The book's cover features a painting by the nineteenth-century artist Jean Léone Gérôme titled The Snake Charmer. A blue-tiled wall, an audience of armed men, a fipple flute player, and a naked boy whose back is to us. A large, thick snake is coiled around the boy's muscular body."

    Too Much and Not the Mood by Durga Chew-Bose, p 34

    May 19, 2018