from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various nocturnal beetles of the family Lampyridae, characteristically having luminescent chemicals in the posterior tip of the abdomen that produce a flashing light. Also called lightning bug. See Regional Note at lightning bug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nocturnal, bioluminescent beetle of the family Lampyridae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any luminous winged insect, esp. luminous beetles of the family Lampyridæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An insect which has the faculty of becoming luminous; a lampyrid or elaterid beetle which emits phosphorescent light from organs in some part of the body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nocturnal beetle common in warm regions having luminescent abdominal organs
- n. tropical American click beetle having bright luminous spots
But the great thing about it is it does allow somebody to mark a target with what is called a firefly, which is -- it can be a light, a black light, which is not visible on the ground, but which is to somebody flying with night vision goggles.
| Reply my feelings about the series aside, haven’t you all learned that anything new from firefly is just going to turn to crap in your hands? nobody watched the movie, how many people do you think will play the mmo?
A firefly is a strobe-light which is commonly used for calling in aircraft at night.
The firefly is a beetle, and begins to make its appearance the latter part of June when the darkest nights may be one solid glow of fire.
Also to be questioned is what I'd call the firefly motif by which Holding transitions from room to room in Derrick Ivey's atmospheric set: As the naked bulbs turn on and off by themselves in different places in the house, Lucy follows the light, increasingly addressing her narratives to the illumination itself, as if it were the Captain's ghost.
Firefly – The Complete Series (DVD) tagged "firefly" 498 times …
Continue here: Firefly – The Complete Series (DVD) tagged "firefly" 498 times …
« Firefly – The Complete Series (DVD) tagged "firefly" 501 times …/"The Behold of the Eye" by Hal Duncan – SF Books »
Planet-x. com.au » Firefly – The Complete Series (DVD) tagged "firefly" 501 times …
Firefly – The Complete Series (DVD) tagged "firefly" 499 times …