from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The part of the bolt or breech of a firearm that strikes the primer and detonates the charge of a projectile.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun That part of the breech-mechanism of a small arm or cannon which explodes the primer of the cartridge.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- In the breech mechanism of a firearm, the pin which strikes the head of the cartridge and explodes it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun firearms the part of the firing mechanism which strikes the cartridge's
primerto ignite the gunpowder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun striker that ignites the charge by striking the primer
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word firing pin.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.