Help Wordnik hunt for a million missing words by backing our Kickstarter!


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A blank or specially printed leaf at the beginning or end of a book.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A blank page at the front or back of a book.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. an unprinted leaf at the beginning or end of a book, circular, programme, etc.
  • n. A blank leaf in the front of back or a book.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A blank leaf at the beginning or end of a book; the blank leaf of a folded circular, program, or the like.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a blank leaf in the front or back of a book


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A blank leaf, sometimes more than one, following the front free endpaper, or at the end of a book where there is not sufficient text to fill out the last few pages.

    February 25, 2008