from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A warm dry wind coming off the lee slopes of a mountain range, especially off the northern slopes of the Alps.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A warm dry wind blowing down the side of a mountain in northern and central Europe.
- n. A similar wind in any mountainous area.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A warm dry wind that often blows in the northern valleys of the Alps, due to the indraught of a storm center passing over Central Europe. The wind, heated by compression in its descent from the mountains, reaches the base, particularly in winter, dry and warm.
- n. Any similar wind, as the chinook, in other parts of the world.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A warm, dry wind which descends from the upper Alps into the valleys on the north side of the chain of the Alps, from Geneva to Salzburg.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a warm dry wind that blows down the northern slopes of the Alps
The coming of Sinlaku triggered a rare meteorological event known as the foehn phenomenon, wherein warm, dry winds swept through Taiwan's Taitung County, Xinhua said.
Germanytemperate and marine; cool, cloudy, wet winters and summers; occasional warm mountain (foehn) wind
The presence of a strong foehn (catabatic wind) contributes to warming and drying the Tsangpo Valley.
Climate: temperate and marine; cool, cloudy, wet winters and summers; occasional warm mountain (foehn) wind
“Santa Ana” winds, or foehn winds, are hot winds … when one of them starts to blown, his assumption that wind will cool down the UHI gets blown out the window.
#35 Steve Sadlov…As, where and how you build you harvest …extreme heatwaves…The foehn effects are enhanced by the inner and south
Just let it dangle till the next foehn wind slings it into the forest.
Charlie knew the landmasses; he watched and felt the air, prepared for downdrafts and foehn clouds.
Air mass flows down a mountain range, you get a foehn wind.
"It comes with the foehn, the snow-melter, the spring wind," Losaduna said.