from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The traditional beliefs, myths, tales, and practices of a people, transmitted orally.
- n. The comparative study of folk knowledge and culture. Also called folkloristics.
- n. A body of widely accepted but usually specious notions about a place, a group, or an institution: Rumors of their antics became part of the folklore of Hollywood.
- n. A popular but unfounded belief.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The tales, legends and superstitions of a particular ethnic population.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Tales, legends, or superstitions long current among the people; the unwritten literature of a culture, such as stories, proverbs, riddles and songs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lore of the common people; the traditional beliefs and customs of the people, especially such as are obsolete or archaic; traditional knowledge; popular superstitions, tales, traditions, or legends.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the unwritten lore (stories and proverbs and riddles and songs) of a culture
The present author reserves the term folklore for application to those unappropriated scraps of popular song, story, myth, and superstition that have drifted down the stream of antiquity and that reach us in the scrap-bag of popular memory, often bearing in their battered forms the evidence of long use.
On the same principle, why should they not apply the term folklore to the myths and stories that make up the body of
This is the lesson, I think, of what we call folklore or anthropology, which to many seems trivial, to many seems dull.
Japanese folklore is wonderfully rich, and Mizuki is considered a self-taught expert on the subject.
The Maid of the Mist, in addition to having ties with local native folklore, is the tugboat that takes tourists down about as close to the bottom of Niagara Falls as anyone would ever want to go.
A legendary British monarch, Arthur has appeared in folklore through the ages and has influenced culture, art, and even military in countless ways.
They also will work with your measurements you supply, but folklore is the probability of getting a good fit is much better if you are scanned.
He avoids obvious statements in his movies, which share a hypnotic, nonlinear quality as well as an interest in Thai folklore and beliefs.
I have a special interest in folklore and collect nursery rhyme books.
Though, if folklore is true, I wouldn't be indulging in French fries, but I think it's a fair swap for not aging.