from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The leaf of a fern.
- n. A large compound leaf of a palm.
- n. A leaflike thallus, as of a seaweed or lichen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The leaf of a fern, especially a compound leaf.
- n. Any fern-like leaf or other object resembling a fern leaf.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The organ formed by the combination or union into one body of stem and leaf, and often bearing the fructification; ; also, the peculiar leaf of a palm tree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In bot.:
- n. As used by Linnæus, a leaf, especially the leaf of a palm or fern.
- n. Now, specifically, a leaf of a fern or other cryptogam, the thallus of a lichen, or any other leaf-like expansion which includes both stem and foliage, as the disk of Lemna.
- n. In zoology, the foliaceous or leaf-like expansion of certain animal organisms, as of various polyzoans and actinozoans, which resemble plants in the mode of growth of the polypstock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. compound leaf of a fern or palm or cycad
Ladies did not disdain those pagan ironed times of the firs; city (called after the ugliest Danadune) when a frond was a friend inneed to carry, as earwigs do their dead, their soil to the earth-ball where indeeth we shall calm decline, our legacy unknown.
In Greek and Latin it means palm frond, that is, something torn off the tree.
The bracts at the base of the frond were a prized Maori delicacy.
That's Agent Dry Mouth with his palm frond: Tarzan's gorilla housemaid, making the jungle cosy and domestic.
The episode proper this week began with a shot of Special Agent Dry Mouth, in the early morning, while his entire tribe was trying to sleep, gratuitously pissing them off, using a palm frond to sweep the jungle!
This particular type of palm frond, or lulav, is one of four species of flora that Jews ritualize in their observance of the harvest festival.
She brushed a frond aside to touch the bottom of the glass.
Joanne got that "I can't hear you" stubborn look on her face, and wound up adding not just slices of fennel bulb, but seeds and chopped frond to every single dish they made that day.
An 8-foot wall of stone embedded with a fossilized palm frond and fish from Wyoming's Green River Formation is also priced to sell for at least $101,000.
House of Holland House of Holland's palm frond print was inspired by the wallpaper at Manhattan restaurant Indochine.