from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A short cluster of elongated strands, as of yarn, hair, or grass, attached at the base or growing close together.
  • n. A dense clump, especially of trees or bushes.
  • transitive v. To furnish or ornament with tufts or a tuft.
  • transitive v. To pass threads through the layers of (a quilt, mattress, or upholstery), securing the thread ends with a knot or button.
  • intransitive v. To separate or form into tufts.
  • intransitive v. To grow in a tuft.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A bunch of feathers, grass or hair, etc., held together at the base.
  • n. A cluster of threads drawn tightly through upholstery, a mattress or a quilt, etc., to secure and strengthen the padding.
  • n. A small clump of trees or bushes.
  • n. A gold tassel on the cap worn by titled undergraduates at English universities.
  • n. A person entitled to wear such a tassel.
  • v. To provide or decorate with a tuft or tufts.
  • v. To form into tufts.
  • v. To secure and strengthen (a mattress, quilt, etc.) with tufts.
  • v. To be formed into tufts.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A collection of small, flexible, or soft things in a knot or bunch; a waving or bending and spreading cluster.
  • n. A cluster; a clump.
  • n. A nobleman, or person of quality, especially in the English universities; -- so called from the tuft, or gold tassel, on the cap worn by them.
  • transitive v. To separate into tufts.
  • transitive v. To adorn with tufts or with a tuft.
  • intransitive v. To grow in, or form, a tuft or tufts.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A green knoll. See toft.
  • n. A grove; a plantation; a clump.
  • To beat up (a thicket or covert) in stag-hunting.
  • n. A bunch of soft and flexible things fixed at the base with the upper part loose, especially when the whole is small: as, a tuft of feathers.
  • n. A turban.
  • n. A crest.
  • n. An imperial.
  • n. In anat, a rete; a glomerulus. See cut under Malpighian.
  • n. In botany, a fascicle of flowers on their several partial peduncles; a cluster of radical leaves; a clump or tussock of stems from a common root, as in many grasses and sedges; hence, any analogous bundle.
  • n. An undergraduate who bears a title: so called from the tuft worn on his cap to indicate his rank.
  • To separate or combine into tufts.
  • To affix a tuft to: cover or stud with tufts, or as if with tufts.
  • In upholstery, to draw together (a cushion or an upholstered covering) by passing a thread through it at regular intervals, the depressions thus produced being usually covered with tufts or buttons.
  • To grow in tufts; form a tuft or tufts.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a bunch of feathers or hair
  • n. a bunch of hair or feathers or growing grass


Middle English, probably alteration of Old French tofe, from Late Latin tufa, helmet crest, or of Germanic origin.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English toft(e), from Middle French tofe, toffe 'tuft', from Late Latin (near Vegezio) tufa 'helmet crest', from Germanic (compare Old English ðūf 'tuft', Old Norse þúfa 'mound', Swedish tuva 'tussock, grassy hillock'), from Proto-Germanic *þūƀōn, þūƀaz; akin to Latin tūber 'hump, swelling', Ancient Greek typhē 'cattail (used to stuff beds)'. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.