from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who holds an office or a trust or performs a particular function; an official.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person employed as an official in a bureaucracy (usually corporate or governmental) who holds limited authority and primarily serves to carry out a simple function for which discretion is not required.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One charged with the performance of a function or office
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who holds an office or a trust: as, a public functionary; secular functionaries.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a worker who holds or is invested with an office
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A government functionary is going to make rules about what you can get and what you can't!
"No. We want a-- er -- what the deuce is it they call the functionary, Cassius?"
He had the characteristic of a good functionary, that is to say, he had no mind of his own, and simply did what he was told or what he conceived to be his duty as a member of the administrative system.
Most of what the public sees the practitioner doing could be described as functionary activity.
Finally, we referred to the transformation of the teacher's identity from that of a state "functionary" - "a word that is rarely used today, while a few years before it indicated a prestigious identity and an obsolete social-democratic,
That said, I think I am right when I talk about the 'functionary'.
According to GOP party "functionary" Hugh Hewitt, the conservative white men are chickening out because YouTube and CNN have that famous liberal bias.
We must spell out what kind of functionary can be removed at any particular moment of the day or night.
There's a lot of crap you can say about Blanche -- and we do -- but a "functionary" of Nancy Pelosi?
The fish are being proffered—oops, offered—by a cold-hearted functionary of the New York Zoo, while the love emanates from, yes, you guessed it.