from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Architecture A band of convex molding carved with ornamental beading or reeding.
  • n. An ornamental band, used especially in silverwork, embellished with fluting, reeding, or another continuous pattern.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Any of a series of raised decorative curves used as adornments on the necks of vases, silverware, etc.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as godroon.


French godron, from Old French goderon, perhaps from godet, cup without base or handle, from Middle Dutch kodde, log, from Old Provençal got, cup, from Latin guttus, flask, from gutta, drop.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French godron. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.