from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The common burdock, Arctium Lappa. It is much cultivated in Japan for its root, which is there a popular garden vegetable.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun film, television A disc placed between a light and the illuminated object or actor in order to diffuse the glare.


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From go-between?


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word gobo.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A theatrical lighting term: "a template or pattern cut into a circular plate used to create patterns of projected light. The name may be derived from go between, or from Goes Before Optics. Go between refers to its position between the lamp and the lens. Another origin may be: Graphical optical blackout."

    But also (and this was something I didn't know): "a slang term used by sound recording engineers to refer to a movable acoustic isolation panel…an acoustics gobo is parallel in use to a photography gobo, which is used to block direct light sources, and also shares its name with the stage lighting gobo."

    October 16, 2008