from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having great reverence for God; pious.
- adj. Divine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a god
- adj. Devoted to a god.
- adj. Devoted to the single deity of one of the monotheist religions of Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.
- adj. Gloriously good.
- adv. In a godly manner; piously; devoutly; righteously.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pious; reverencing God, and his character and laws; obedient to the commands of God from love for, and reverence of, his character; conformed to God's law; devout; righteous.
- adv. Piously; devoutly; righteously.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pious; reverencing God and his character and laws; controlled by religious motives.
- Conformed to or influenced by God's laws: as, a godly life.
- Of or pertaining to a god; characteristic of a god; godlike.
- Synonyms and Holy, devout, saintly. See religion.
- In a godly manner; piously.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. emanating from God
- adj. showing great reverence for god
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This and the disciplinary design of trial to the godly is the great lesson of this book.
God ... brought Daniel into favour -- The favor of others towards the godly is the doing of God.
The deliverance of the godly is the work of God, that which he concerns himself in, both his wisdom to contrive the way and his power to work out the deliverance out of temptation, to prevent their falling into sin and their being ruined by their troubles.
“Many of the humanities and liberal arts are based on philosophies whose foundations are materialism and disbelief in godly and Islamic teachings,” Ayatollah Khamenei said at a gathering of university students and professors on Sunday, according to IRNA, the state news agency.
Teaching those “sciences leads to the loss of belief in godly and Islamic knowledge.”
I would love for her to be able to use your old posts for a basic education in godly homemaking.
My son and daughter are not just 'doing well,' but rising far above me in godly character, enthusiasm for what God is doing in their lives, development of talents, and service to others.
“From the Christian perspective, we think in terms of prayer, we think in terms of what we call godly counsel, where godly men who are clean themselves insert themselves in the life of the one who is struggling,” London said.
Such he was in godly firmness, in spite of his people's opposition, according to the divine command to the priest tribe to which he belonged (De 33: 9).
"Holy! holy! holy!" and the burning coal is applied to his lips, for the message through his mouth was to be one of judicial severance of the godly from the ungodly, to the ruin of the latter. lamps -- torches.