from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A freshwater fish (Carassius auratus) native to eastern Asia, usually having brassy or reddish coloring and bred in many ornamental forms as an aquarium fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of fish (scientific name Carassius auratus), typically orange-colored.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small domesticated cyprinoid fish (Carassius auratus); -- so named from its color. It is a native of China, and is said to have been introduced into Europe in 1691. It is often kept as an ornament, in small ponds or glass globes. Many varieties are known. Called also golden fish, and golden carp. See Telescope fish, under telescope.
- n. A California marine fish of an orange or red color; the garibaldi.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the carp family Cyprinidæ, Cyprinus or Carassius auratus, originally a Chinese species, now domesticated and bred everywhere for ornament in ponds, tanks, and aquariums.
- n. Same as garibaldi, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small golden or orange-red freshwater fishes of Eurasia used as pond or aquarium fishes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I don't have HMO, because I tried that and ended up with bad doctors who are as good as diagnosing injuries and illness as a goldfish is at climbing a tree. indyphil
However, he did admit that with England's 2008 tour to New Zealand having seen four players face serious sex allegations - which were later dismissed - the squad should have been acutely aware of what he described as the "goldfish bowl" life rugby players must deal with here.
Bottom little box has whole grain goldfish crackers, organic raisins, and red grapes.
Bottom layer, ham and turkey with muenster cheese sandwiches, with whole grain goldfish and sliced string cheese for filler.
When one of Julie's goldfish is eaten by the Oscar, Feiffer's accompanying illustration of Julie screaming is dead on.
Police called the goldfish killing "disturbing," and the 16-year-old faces cruelty to animals charges in addition to a residential burglary charge.
Outside is vanilla yoplait yogurt, grapefruit, and whole grain goldfish.
He just is one, and always has been, ever since he can remember, the way a goldfish is a goldfish and cant be anything else.
I declare, when Aunt Alice would come home in the afternoon and she would go out and call her goldfish they would come right to the edge like they knew her.
The goldfish were a never-failing source of fun for the Quartette.