from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Protection or sanctuary provided by Old English law to persons in certain circumstances, as when in a church or traveling on the king's highway.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. guaranteed security, sanctuary, safe conduct
- n. security, peace or protection guaranteed in particular instances in Old English law.
- n. a place of protection, a sanctuary
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Peace; security; agreement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A truce; peace; security.
As painful as this is to watch, it goes quite a way toward explaining why each morning, I wake up to an inbox full of multi-millionaire Nigerians and pills offering an "xtra 2! n¢hes of grith" [sic].