from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Architecture An ornamental border formed of two or more curved bands that interlace to repeat a circular design.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A fine engraving pattern of spirals, intertwining bands, etc.; or the tool used to create such work.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An ornament in the form of two or more bands or strings twisted over each other in a continued series, leaving circular openings which are filled with round ornaments.
  • n. In ornamental art, any pattern made by interlacing curved lines.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To decorate with intersecting curved lines, or with any pattern composed of curved lines.
  • n. An ornamental pattern composed of intersecting curved lines, as the usual decoration of watch-cases; in architecture, an ornament in the form of two or more bands or ribbons interlacing or braided or twisted over each other so as to repeat the same figure in a continued series of spirals. The term is applied, but improperly, to a fret.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an architectural decoration formed by two intersecting wavy bands


French, tool used in making the ornamentation or French guillochis, guilloche.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French guilloche. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.